23-4-201. Licenses. (1) It is unlawful for a person to hold a race meet, including simulcast race meets under the parimutuel system, in this state without a valid license issued by the department under this chapter. A person applying for a license to hold a race meet under this chapter shall file an application with the department which shall set forth the time, place, and number of days the license will continue and other information the board requires.
(2) A person who participates in a race meet shall be licensed and charged an annual fee set by the board, which shall be paid to the department and used for expenses of administering this chapter, subject to 37-1-101(6). Each person holding a license under this chapter shall comply with this chapter and with the rules adopted and orders issued by the board.
(3) A license may not be issued to a person who has failed to pay the fees, taxes, or money required under this chapter.
(4) Applications to hold race meets shall be submitted to the department, and the board shall act on the applications within 30 days. The board is the sole judge of whether the race meet may be licensed and the number of days the meet may continue.
(5) The board shall require that a fair board and an independent racing association conducting race meets meet the requirements of the rules adopted by the board before granting a license.
(6) A racing association consisting of a local fair board or an association approved by a local fair board may apply for a license to hold a simulcast race meet in a simulcast facility.
(7) An unexpired license held by a person who violates this chapter or who fails to pay to the department the sums required under this chapter is subject to cancellation and revocation by the board.
History: (1), (3) thru (5)En. Sec. 7, Ch. 196, L. 1965; amd. Sec. 2, Ch. 216, L. 1967; amd. Sec. 18, Ch. 350, L. 1974; Sec. 62-507, R.C.M. 1947; (2)En. Sec. 5, Ch. 196, L. 1965; amd. Sec. 1, Ch. 216, L. 1967; amd. Sec. 16, Ch. 350, L. 1974; amd. Sec. 1, Ch. 533, L. 1977; Sec. 62-505, R.C.M. 1947; R.C.M. 1947, 62-505(part), 62-507; amd. Sec. 8, Ch. 563, L. 1983; amd. Sec. 4, Ch. 557, L. 1989.