75-10-403. Definitions. Unless the context requires otherwise, in this part, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Board" means the board of environmental review provided for in 2-15-3502.
(2) "Department" means the department of environmental quality provided for in 2-15-3501.
(3) "Dispose" or "disposal" means the discharge, injection, deposit, dumping, spilling, leaking, or placing of any hazardous waste into or onto the land or water so that the hazardous waste or any constituent of the hazardous waste may enter the environment or be emitted into the air or discharged into any waters, including ground water.
(4) "Environmental protection law" means a law contained in or an administrative rule adopted pursuant to Title 75, chapter 2, 5, 10, or 11.
(5) "Facility" or "hazardous waste management facility" means all contiguous land and structures, other appurtenances, and improvements on the land used for treating, storing, or disposing of hazardous waste. A facility may consist of several treatment, storage, or disposal operational units.
(6) "Generation" means the act or process of producing waste material.
(7) "Generator" means any person, by site, whose act or process produces hazardous waste or whose act first causes a hazardous waste to become subject to regulation under this part.
(8) (a) "Hazardous waste" means a waste or combination of wastes that, because of its quantity, concentration, or physical, chemical, or infectious characteristics, may:
(i) cause or significantly contribute to an increase in mortality or an increase in serious irreversible or incapacitating reversible illness; or
(ii) pose a substantial present or potential hazard to human health or the environment when improperly treated, stored, transported, or disposed of or otherwise managed.
(b) Hazardous wastes do not include those substances governed by Title 82, chapter 4, part 2.
(9) "Hazardous waste management" means the management of the collection, source separation, storage, transportation, processing, treatment, recovery, and disposal of hazardous wastes.
(10) "Hazardous waste transfer facility" means any land, structure, or improvement, including loading docks, parking areas, holding sites, and other similar areas, used for the transfer and temporary storage of hazardous wastes and where shipments of hazardous waste are temporarily held for a period of 10 days or less during the normal course of transportation up to but not including the point of ultimate treatment, storage, or disposal.
(11) "Manifest" means the shipping document that is originated and signed by the generator and that is used to identify the hazardous waste and its quantity, origin, and destination during its transportation.
(12) "Person" means the United States, an individual, firm, trust, estate, partnership, company, association, corporation, city, town, local governmental entity, or any other governmental or private entity, whether organized for profit or not.
(13) "Storage" means the actual or intended containment of hazardous wastes, either on a temporary basis or for a period of years.
(14) "Transportation" means the movement of hazardous wastes from the point of generation to any intermediate points and finally to the point of ultimate storage or disposal.
(15) "Transporter" means a person engaged in the offsite transportation of hazardous waste by air, rail, highway, or water.
(16) "Treatment" means a method, technique, or process, including neutralization, designed to change the physical, chemical, or biological character or composition of any hazardous waste so as to neutralize the waste or so as to render it nonhazardous, safer for transportation, amenable for recovery, amenable for storage, or reduced in volume.
(17) "Used oil" means any oil that has been refined from crude oil or any synthetic oil, either of which has been used and as a result of that use is contaminated by physical or chemical impurities.
History: En. Sec. 10, Ch. 358, L. 1981; amd. Sec. 1, Ch. 633, L. 1985; amd. Sec. 1, Ch. 562, L. 1987; amd. Sec. 3, Ch. 384, L. 1989; amd. Sec. 2, Ch. 28, L. 1995; amd. Sec. 1, Ch. 218, L. 1995; amd. Sec. 194, Ch. 418, L. 1995; amd. Secs. 528, 568, Ch. 546, L. 1995; amd. Sec. 1, Ch. 568, L. 1995; amd. Sec. 19, Ch. 112, L. 1997; amd. Sec. 1, Ch. 156, L. 1997.