76-12-121. Duties of department -- plan for natural areas system. The department may:
(1) identify the existing and potential natural areas on lands under its jurisdiction and annually prepare a register listing the existing natural areas on private, county, state, and federal land;
(2) prepare and implement a biennial administrative plan for a natural areas system that will:
(i) assure equitable representation of the diversity of natural area types that are found to occur on private, county, state, and federal lands; and
(ii) include identification of important natural area needs, viable methods to make eligible lands a part of the natural areas system, responsible management entities, goals for establishing natural areas, obligations of cooperating agencies, organizations, and individuals, and administrative procedures for registering natural areas with the department;
(3) consider the concerns and comments of the board and the public in preparing and implementing the administrative plan described in subsection (2);
(4) make recommendations to the board for designation of natural areas on state lands and for acquisition of interests in other lands for the preservation of natural areas;
(5) provide that designated natural areas on state lands are available for multiple uses, including but not limited to grazing, recreation, and snowmobiling, if such uses are consistent with the state's obligations under The Enabling Act and do not interfere with the management or integrity of the natural area; and
(6) provide that the management of natural areas on state lands includes provisions for weed control consistent with 7-22-2151. The department assumes any levy under 7-22-2142 in natural areas; the lessee is not responsible for fire suppression costs in natural areas, and the lessee is not responsible for keeping natural areas free of garbage and debris.
History: En. Sec. 3, Ch. 460, L. 1987.