75-10-623. CERCLA bonds. (1) When authorized by the legislature and within limits of the authorization and the further limitations established in this section, the board of examiners may issue and sell CERCLA bonds of the state in the amount and manner it considers necessary and proper to fund state participation in remedial action under section 104 of CERCLA, as amended, state costs for maintenance of sites at which remedial action under CERCLA has been completed, the state share required to obtain matching federal funds for underground storage tank corrective action, and costs of issuing the bonds or notes. The full faith and credit and taxing powers of the state are pledged for the prompt and full payment of all bonds issued and interest and redemption premiums payable on the bonds according to their terms.
(2) Each series of CERCLA bonds may be issued by the board of examiners upon request of the department of environmental quality, at public or private sale, in the denominations and forms, whether payable to bearer with attached interest coupons or registered as to principal or as to both principal and interest, with provisions for conversion or exchange and for the issuance of notes in anticipation of the issuance of definitive bonds, bearing interest at a rate or rates, maturing at a rate or rates, maturing at the time or times not exceeding 30 years from date of issue, subject to optional or mandatory redemption at earlier times and prices and upon notice, with provisions for payment and discharge by the deposit of funds or securities in escrow for that purpose, and payable at the office of the banking institution or institutions within or outside the state, as the board of examiners determines, subject to the limitations contained in 17-5-731 and this section.
(3) In the issuance of each series of CERCLA bonds, the interest rates, maturities, and any mandatory redemption provisions of the bonds must be established in a manner that the funds then specifically pledged and appropriated by law to the CERCLA match debt service fund will, in the judgment of the board of examiners, be received in an amount sufficient in each year to pay all principal, redemption premiums, and interest due and payable in that year with respect to that and all prior series of the bonds, except outstanding bonds as to which the obligation of the state has been discharged by the deposit of funds or securities sufficient for their payment in accordance with the terms of the resolutions by which they are authorized to be issued.
(4) In all other respects, the board of examiners is authorized to prescribe the form and terms of the bonds and notes and shall do whatever is lawful and necessary for their issuance and payment. The bonds, notes, and any interest coupons appurtenant to the bonds and notes must be signed by the members of the board of examiners, and the bonds and notes must be issued under the great seal of the state of Montana. The bonds, notes, and coupons may be executed with facsimile signatures and seal in the manner and subject to the limitations prescribed by law. The state treasurer shall keep a record of all the bonds and notes issued and sold.
(5) All proceeds of bonds or notes issued under this section must be deposited in the hazardous waste/CERCLA special revenue account established in 75-10-621.
(6) All actions taken by the board of examiners under this section must be authorized by a vote of a majority of the members.
History: En. Sec. 4, Ch. 408, L. 1987; amd. Sec. 200, Ch. 418, L. 1995; amd. Sec. 4, Ch. 496, L. 2003.