50-32-101. Definitions. As used in this chapter, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Administer" means the direct application of a dangerous drug, whether by injection, inhalation, ingestion, or other means, to the body of a patient or research subject by:
(a) a practitioner or by the practitioner's authorized agent; or
(b) the patient or research subject at the direction and in the presence of the practitioner.
(2) (a) "Agent" means an authorized person who acts on behalf of or at the direction of a manufacturer, distributor, or dispenser.
(b) The term does not include a common or contract carrier, public warehouse operator, or employee of the carrier or warehouse operator.
(3) "Board" means the board of pharmacy provided for in 2-15-1733.
(4) "Bureau" means the drug enforcement administration, United States department of justice, or its successor agency.
(5) "Counterfeit substance" means a dangerous drug or the container or labeling of a dangerous drug without authorization that bears the trademark, trade name, or other identifying mark, imprint, number, or device or a likeness of an identifying mark, imprint, number, or device of a manufacturer, distributor, or dispenser other than the person who in fact manufactured, distributed, or dispensed the drug.
(6) "Dangerous drug" means a drug, substance, or immediate precursor in Schedules I through V set forth in part 2.
(7) "Deliver" or "delivery" means the actual, constructive, or attempted transfer from one person to another of a dangerous drug, whether or not there is an agency relationship.
(8) "Department" means the department of labor and industry provided for in Title 2, chapter 15, part 17.
(9) "Dispense" means to deliver a dangerous drug to an ultimate user or research subject by or pursuant to the lawful order of a practitioner, including the prescribing, administering, packaging, labeling, or compounding necessary to prepare the drug for that delivery.
(10) "Dispenser" means a practitioner who dispenses.
(11) "Distribute" means to deliver other than by administering or dispensing a dangerous drug.
(12) "Distributor" means a person who distributes.
(13) "Drug" has the same meaning as provided in 37-7-101.
(14) "Hashish", as distinguished from marijuana, means the mechanically processed or extracted plant material that contains tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and is composed of resin from the cannabis plant.
(15) "Immediate precursor" means a substance that the board finds to be and by rule designates as being the principal compound commonly used or produced primarily for use and that is an immediate chemical intermediary used or likely to be used in the manufacture of a dangerous drug, the control of which is necessary to prevent, curtail, or limit manufacture.
(16) (a) "Manufacture" means the production, preparation, propagation, compounding, conversion, or processing of a dangerous drug either directly or indirectly by extraction from substances of natural origin, independently by means of chemical synthesis, or by a combination of extraction and chemical synthesis and includes the packaging or repackaging of the drug or labeling or relabeling of its container.
(b) Manufacture does not include the preparation or compounding of a dangerous drug by an individual for personal use or the preparation, compounding, packaging, or labeling of a dangerous drug:
(i) by a practitioner as an incident to the administering or dispensing of a dangerous drug in the course of a professional practice; or
(ii) by a practitioner or the practitioner's authorized agent under the practitioner's supervision for the purpose of or as an incident to research, teaching, or chemical analysis and not for sale.
(17) "Marijuana (marihuana)" means all plant material from the genus cannabis containing tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) or seeds of the genus capable of germination.
(18) "Narcotic drug" means any of the following, whether produced directly or indirectly by extraction from substances of vegetable origin, independently by means of chemical synthesis, or by a combination of extraction and chemical synthesis:
(a) opium and opiate and a salt, compound, derivative, or preparation of opium or opiate;
(b) a salt, compound, isomer, derivative, or preparation of a salt, compound, isomer, or derivative that is chemically equivalent or identical with any of the drugs referred to in subsection (18)(a), but not including the isoquinoline alkaloids of opium;
(c) opium poppy and poppy straw; or
(d) coca leaves and a salt, compound, derivative, or preparation of coca leaves and a salt, compound, isomer, derivative, or preparation of a salt, compound, isomer, or derivative that is chemically equivalent or identical with any of these drugs, but not including decocainized coca leaves or extractions of coca leaves that do not contain cocaine or ecgonine.
(19) "Opiate" means a drug having an addiction-forming or addiction-sustaining liability similar to morphine or being capable of conversion into a drug having addiction-forming or addiction-sustaining liability. The term does not include, unless specifically designated as a dangerous drug under 50-32-202, the dextrorotatory isomer of 3-methoxy-n-methylmorphinan and its salts (dextromethorphan). The term does include its racemic and levorotatory forms.
(20) "Opium poppy" means the plant of the species papaver somniferum L., except its seeds.
(21) "Person" means an individual, corporation, government or governmental subdivision or agency, business trust, estate, trust, partnership, association, or any other legal entity.
(22) "Poppy straw" means all parts, except the seeds, of the opium poppy after mowing.
(23) "Practitioner" means:
(a) a physician, dentist, veterinarian, scientific investigator, or other person licensed, registered, or otherwise permitted to distribute, dispense, or conduct research with respect to or to administer a dangerous drug in the course of professional practice or research in this state;
(b) a pharmacy or other institution licensed, registered, or otherwise permitted to distribute, dispense, or conduct research with respect to or to administer a dangerous drug in the course of professional practice or research in this state; and
(c) a physician licensed to practice medicine or a dentist licensed to practice dentistry in another state.
(24) "Prescription" means an order given individually for the person for whom prescribed, directly from the prescriber to the furnisher or indirectly to the furnisher, by means of an order signed by the prescriber and bearing the name and address of the prescriber, the prescriber's license classification, the name of the patient, the name and quantity of the drug or drugs prescribed, the directions for use, and the date of its issue. These stipulations apply to written, electronically transmitted, and telephoned prescriptions.
(25) "Production" includes the manufacture, planting, cultivation, growing, or harvesting of a substance or drug regulated under the provisions of this chapter.
(26) "State", when applied to a part of the United States, includes a state, district, commonwealth, territory, insular possession of the United States, and any area subject to the legal authority of the United States of America.
(27) "Ultimate user" means a person who lawfully possesses a dangerous drug for personal use or for the use of a member of the person's household or for administering to an animal owned by the person or by a member of the person's household.
History: En. Sec. 1, Ch. 412, L. 1973; amd. Sec. 1, Ch. 350, L. 1974; amd. Sec. 1, Ch. 382, L. 1975; amd. Sec. 6, Ch. 187, L. 1977; R.C.M. 1947, 54-301; amd. Sec. 3, Ch. 274, L. 1981; amd. Sec. 12, Ch. 379, L. 1981; amd. Sec. 1, Ch. 155, L. 1983; amd. Sec. 1, Ch. 247, L. 1983; amd. Sec. 1, Ch. 198, L. 1995; amd. Sec. 15, Ch. 388, L. 2001; amd. Sec. 158, Ch. 483, L. 2001.