15-24-3005. Electrical generation facility impact fee for local governmental units and school districts -- wind generation facility impact fee. (1) (a) If an owner or operator of an electrical generation facility, as defined in 15-24-3001, is exempt from property taxation pursuant to 15-24-3001, the owner or operator of the facility is subject to an initial local government and local school impact fee. In the first 2 years of construction, the impact fee may not exceed 0.75% of the total cost of constructing the electrical generation facility.
(b) In the case of a generation facility powered by oil or gas turbines, the impact fee may not exceed 0.1% of the total construction cost in the remaining 3 years of the tax exemption period as provided in 15-24-3001.
(c) In the case of any other generation facility, the impact fee may not exceed 0.1% of the total construction cost in the subsequent 4 years and may not exceed 0.08% of the total construction cost in the remaining 4 years of the tax exemption period as provided in 15-24-3001.
(2) Except as provided in subsection (4), the jurisdictional area of a local governmental unit in which an electrical generation facility or wind generation facility is located is the local governmental unit that is authorized to assess the impact fee pursuant to 15-24-3004(1) or subsection (1) of this section.
(3) The impact fee must be distributed to the local governmental unit for local impacts and to the impacted school districts.
(4) Subject to the conditions of 15-24-3006 and subsection (5) of this section, if the electrical generation facility or wind generation facility is located within the jurisdictional areas of multiple local governmental units of the county or contiguous counties, the local governmental units may enter into an interlocal agreement under Title 7, chapter 11, part 1, to determine how the fee should be distributed among the various local governmental units and impacted school districts pursuant to subsection (3). The county in which the electrical generation facility or wind generation facility is located is authorized to assess the fee under the interlocal agreement.
(5) For purposes of 15-24-3004 and this section, a "local governmental unit" means a county, city, or town. If an exempt electrical generation facility or wind generation facility is located within a tax increment financing district, the tax increment financing district is considered a local governmental unit and is entitled to the distribution of impact fees under this section. A tax increment financing district may not receive a distribution of impact fees if an exempt electrical generation facility or wind generation facility is not located within the district.
(6) Impact fees imposed under 15-24-3004(2)(b) or under subsection (4) of this section must be deposited in the county electrical energy generation impact fee reserve account established in 15-24-3006 for the county in which the electrical generation facility is located. Money in the account may not be expended until the multiple local governmental units have entered into an interlocal agreement.
History: En. Sec. 3, Ch. 592, L. 2001; amd. Sec. 16, Ch. 130, L. 2005; amd. Sec. 8, Ch. 563, L. 2005.