61-6-303. Exempt vehicles. The following vehicles and their drivers are exempt from the provisions of 61-6-301:
(1) a vehicle owned by the United States government or any state or political subdivision;
(2) a vehicle for which cash, securities, or a bond has been deposited or filed with the department upon terms and conditions providing the same benefits available under a required motor vehicle liability insurance policy;
(3) a vehicle owned by a self-insurer certified as provided in 61-6-143;
(4) an implement of husbandry or special mobile equipment that is only incidentally operated on a highway or property open to use by the public;
(5) a vehicle operated upon a highway only for the purpose of crossing the highway from one property to another;
(6) a commercial vehicle registered or proportionally registered in this and any other jurisdiction if the vehicle is covered by a motor vehicle liability insurance policy complying with the laws of another jurisdiction in which it is registered;
(7) a motorcycle or quadricycle;
(8) a vehicle moved solely by human or animal power;
(9) a vehicle owned by a nonresident if it is currently registered in the owner's resident jurisdiction and the owner is in compliance with the motor vehicle liability insurance requirements, if any, of that jurisdiction.
History: En. Sec. 3, Ch. 592, L. 1979; amd. Sec. 2, Ch. 212, L. 1985; amd. Sec. 1, Ch. 503, L. 1985; amd. Sec. 34, Ch. 516, L. 1985; amd. Sec. 1957, Ch. 56, L. 2009.