85-15-106. Definitions. Unless the context requires otherwise, in this chapter the following definitions apply:
(1) "Alterations" or "repairs" means alterations or repairs that may directly affect the safety of a dam or reservoir.
(2) "Appurtenant works" means all works incident or attached to a dam or reservoir, including but not limited to:
(a) a spillway, either in the dam or separate from it;
(b) the reservoir and its rim;
(c) a low-level outlet; and
(d) a water conduit such as a tunnel, pipeline, or penstock, either through the dam or its abutments.
(3) "Construction" or "construct" includes construction, alteration, repair, enlargement, or removal of a dam or reservoir.
(4) "Dam" means an artificial barrier, including appurtenant works, used to impound or divert water.
(5) "Department" means the department of natural resources and conservation provided for in Title 2, chapter 15, part 33.
(6) "Emergency" means a threat to life caused by the condition of a dam or reservoir or by present or imminent floods that threaten the structural integrity of any dam or reservoir.
(7) "Engineer" means a registered professional engineer licensed to practice in the state of Montana under Title 37, chapter 67, part 3.
(8) "Enlargement" means a change in or addition to an existing dam or reservoir that raises or may raise the water storage elevation or increases the impoundment capacity of the reservoir.
(9) "High-hazard dam" means a dam or reservoir with an impounding capacity of 50 acre-feet or more at the maximum normal operating pool, the failure of which would be likely to cause loss of life.
(10) "Inspection" means a visual or mechanical check, a measurement, a boring, or any other method necessary for determination of the adequacy of construction techniques, conformity of work with approved plans and specifications, or the safety and operating performance of a dam or reservoir.
(11) "Owner" means a person who owns, controls, operates, maintains, manages, or proposes to construct a dam or reservoir.
(12) "Person" means an individual, association, partnership, corporation, business trust, state agency, political subdivision, utility, municipal or quasi-municipal corporation, or other entity or authorized agent, lessee, or trustee of any of the foregoing.
(13) "Removal" means removing, taking down, or changing the location of a dam or reservoir.
(14) "Reservoir" means a valley, basin, coulee, ravine, or other land area that contains impounded water.
History: En. Sec. 2, Ch. 501, L. 1985; amd. Sec. 1, Ch. 366, L. 1991; amd. Sec. 1, Ch. 418, L. 1993.